60 Smith Street
07 3286 3494
Imported from Germany in 1870, this four-wheeled wagon was used to carry the Royal Mail from Brisbane to Beenleigh. Later it was used as a general-purpose farm vehicle to transport farm produce to market and for many other daily tasks around the farm. A German wagon was drawn by a team of two horses, one on either side of a central pole.
Young (and not-so-young) men have always seen the need for speed – even in the days before the automobile era. German wagon races were a common event.
The German Wagon is still today seen as the cultural icon of the German-Queensland farming and were to be found in abundance – in varying states of decay – throughout the farmlands of southern Queensland.
Mr Ted Zaneke donated this German Wagon to Redland Museum in 1977