60 Smith Street
07 3286 3494
Richard Garrett & Sons was a manufacturer of agricultural machinery, steam engines and trolleybuses in Leiston, Suffolk, England. In the 1840s the company began producing portable steam engines on wheels, which could be towed to the work location and used to power other equipment. The power required to run a sawmill, threshing machine, or shearing plant was considerable and a portable steam engine was often used for these purposes.
Richard Garrett & Company built this engine in 1900 at the Leiston works. The original owner was Weribone Station, near Surat, Queensland. The engine was sold in 1933 to Mr Arthur Salter of Brucedale Station, Roma. In 1955, his son Mr Howard Salter sold it to Mr Clayton Thrupp of Sutton Grange, Roma. The Redland Museum purchased this Garrett engine in 1982 as we were seeking a steam engine reminiscent of those used in the agricultural industries in the Redlands District. It was restored by Graham Chapman of Kallangur with funds provided by the Redland Museum and the Rotary Club of Cleveland. This engine is in working order, with regular safety inspections carried out so it can be run for demonstrations. It is thought to be the last known steam engine of this type in working order in Australia.