60 Smith Street
07 3286 3494
The introduction of electricity to the community was a great boon to everyone. Electrical machines could now take some of the effort out of hard manual work. This was particularly so in the laundry. In 1926 the Altorfer Bros. Company of Illinois, USA, introduced an electrically operated washing machine, sold under the brand name “ABC”. The example in the Museum’s collection dates from 1934 and represents the pinnacle of domestic convenience at that time. It was an enamelled steel machine with twin tubs. The washing tub has a central reciprocation agitator remarkably like that of most modern machines. It also has a separate electrically driven spinning tub. This machine was donated to the Museum by Mr Ron Flowers in 2013.