This small museum is a sub-branch of the Redland Museum in Cleveland. In 2004 this was a private collection of the local postmaster in the Southern Moreton Bay Islands. Local resident and businesswoman Wendy Dorrington advocated the Redland Shire Council who gave funds to purchase this collection. The premises of an old fire shed to house the collection was moved and erected in its current location and the Redland Museum became the auspicing body.
Ruth Batey, former Post Mistress with her pet donkey Lulu. Her collection became the foundation of the S.M.B.I. museum.
The location at 55 Jackson Road is behind the Bay Islands Community Services Building and opposite the Bowls Club.
Many of our exhibits reflect the rural activities which once shaped the island’s landscape and brought prosperity to the early European settlers. Artefacts concerning logging and farming, agricultural machinery such as chaff cutters and water pumps are much in evidence. The trappings of every- day life in the 1900’s are here to see.
Most of the farms are long gone and the northern part of the island (closest to the jetty) is becoming more suburban with many commercial activities. However, the freshwater swamps give Russell Island a unique attraction and have a wealth of wildflowers and birdlife.
The volunteer group is a very social one reflecting the island lifestyle of community togetherness, and we are often joined by visitors for a cup of coffee.
Southern Moreton Bay Islands Museum with its motorised awning which is powered by a solar panel. Ingenuity is alive and well on the islands!
Being girt by sea, many of our exhibits focus on waterborne travel, including photographs of the many and varied vessels that have plied these waters, together with items from the time when the transport options were locally owned.
If you do not have the time to call in, a visit to the local café will give you a chance to read some of the local stories we have there.
For further information please phone
Brendan on 3409 1451 or 0414 303 047
Kay on 3409 2085 or 0408 153 245